Book Across the Bay, Inc., is pleased to announce the distribution of grants to Chequamegon Bay-area organizations through the Book Across the Bay Community Grants Program. Funds for the program come from the proceeds of the previous (2011) Book Across the Bay event. This year, the program awarded $12,000 to the following organizations:
· The BRICK Ministries: $2,500 for a walk-in freezer used for storing perishable food for their food shelf.
· Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center: $1,300 for equipment replacement and repair and event supplies for their annual Kids' Fishing Day.
· 4-H Ashwabay: $1,350 for purchase of hockey helmets and ice skates for use in developing their youth hockey program.
· Faith in Action: $1,000 toward purchase of computer equipment and software that will improve technical support for many of their programs.
· Chequamegon Bay Soccer Club: $750 toward field improvements to the soccer complex in Ashland.
· Friends of Copper Falls State Park, Inc.: $1,100 for purchase of snowshoes to support the addition of snowshoeing to the winter after-school program they run with Mellen Schools.
· Friends of the Washburn Public Library: $2,000 to support public programming.
· Tri-County Medical Society: $2,000 to support health and wellness programming in the community.
The Community Grants Program was begun in 2005 in keeping with Book Across the Bay's philosophy of health, wellness and community participation. Over the past 15 years, Book Across the Bay events have drawn a total of nearly 24,000 participants. In that time, Book Across the Bay, Inc., has made total donations of more than $122,000 to benefit educational, health and safety programs in the Chequamegon Bay region.
This season's Book Across the Bay ski and snowshoe event is planned for 6:00 p.m. on February 18, 2012. For registration information, or to learn more about the Community Grants Program, visit www.batb.org.